If you are thinking of getting yourself a nice coffee machine, you will find that choosing the best one is not easy. You may have to look through all the details for each model, compare all the features and read all the reviews before finally find a coffee maker that ticks all the boxes. The process could be time consuming. But don’t worry, we have done the research for you to help finding your perfect machine.
We put together a table that listed our editors’ best coffee machine reviews. You can find the descriptions, the good and the bad of that model on the reviews below.
|Model||Bar Pressure||Coffee Type||Milk Steamer||Cup Warming|
|Nescafe Dolce Gusto Piccolo||15 Bar||Capsule||No||No|
|DeLonghi ICM15210||N/A||Filter Coffee/ Ground coffee||No||No|
|Francis Francis x7.1 espresso coffee machine||15 Bar||Capsule||Yes||No|
Nespresso Krups Pixie
|Russell Hobbs 19170 Heritage Coffee Maker||N/A||Filter Coffee/ Ground coffee||No||No|
|Aeropress Coffee Maker||N/A||Ground coffee||No||No|
|Bosch TAS2002GB Tassimo||N/A||Capsule||No||No|
|DeLonghi Icona ECO310 Espresso Machine 310 Espresso Machine||15 Bar||Ground coffee / ESE pods||Yes||Yes|
|DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM4200 Bean to Cup Machine||15 Bar||Ground coffee / Coffee beans||Yes||Yes|
First of all, you need to know your favourite machine type. You can check out the full comparison between the different machine types here.
Here are a few things you should look at before deciding which types of makers you should get.
What sorts of coffee do you like?
Do you like espresso, cappuccino, or other coffee that is espresso based? Or will you be satisfied with a filter coffee? If you are an espresso lover like us, you sure will want to go for the espresso machines or the coffee pod machine.
For me, I like espresso and I love the way how an espresso maker works. It feels like a professional barista when you are filling in the coffee ground, tamping the coffee and playing with the portafilter.
What is your budget?
Prices vary largely depending on the machine type.
The bean-to-cup machines are usually the most expensive one among all types and you will be looking at more than £300.
From around £100, here comes the espresso machine. Some of them cost as high as £1000 but it doesn’t necessary mean that they are better than the £150 one.
You can often find the capsule machines selling at around £50 which is more affordable than the one that uses ground coffee. But bear in mind that the coffee capsules cost around £0.30 whereas the ground coffee is usually cheaper.
You can find the coffee machine reviews at the end of this guide.
How big is your kitchen?
You don’t want to buy a coffee machine that is too big for your kitchen. So it is good to have a general idea about how big they are. Bean-to-cup and Espresso machines are big boys and they need space. On the opposite, capsule machines are small and compact and they are just slightly bigger than a kettle.
Do you have a big family queuing up for coffee in the morning?
A filtered coffee machine can definitely do the job if you need lots of coffee. It makes more than 10 cups of coffee in one brew. On the other hand, a capsule machine only makes one coffee at a time but the re-brewing time is quick so you can still make a lot of drinks at a short time. It takes only a few second to replace the capsules and once it is reloaded, you can brew a new coffee straight away. The espresso machine also only makes one(or two) coffee at a time. But unlike the capsules, it takes a bit more time to replace the ground coffee (unless you use ESE pods).
Ease of use
Capsule coffee machines are no doubt very easy to use. The operation just can’t get easier: Pop in the capsule, press a button, and it’s done. Filtered coffee makers are also easy to use but they need more cleaning than the capsule ones. Operating the espresso machines is not that straight forward. You will need to turn the filter holder, tamp the coffee or froth the milk if you want latte or cappuccino.
Should I use ground coffee or capsules?
If you are using ground coffee, you can explore different flavours and roasts of coffee blend. There are thousands of coffee blend available in the market and one of them will certainly be your favourite. No matter which blend you choose, keep in mind that storing coffee is as important as choosing the flavour. Ground coffee loses their freshness and flavour once opened for a week. Make sure that they are stored in an air tight jar and kept away from the sunlight.
If you are using coffee capsules, although there are hundreds of capsules to choose from, they are only compatible with their own branded capsule machines. However, the coffee quality isn’t bad at all and unlike ground coffee, you don’t need to worry about the freshness. But if you are a cappuccino drinker, you may want to know that some capsules use powdered milk which is never as good as frothing your own milk.
Top coffee machine reviews
Nescafe Dolce Gusto Piccolo
With the dimensions of H33 x W21.4 x D31.5cm, the Piccolo is easy to fit in your kitchen and it doesn’t take up too much space. It is in fact one of the smallest model on the market.
Not only it is one of the smallest models, it is also one of the easiest machines to operate. The Piccolo has a lever and a power button. All you need to do is to press the power button, turn the lever to either the cold side or hot side, and a cup of nice drink shall be done in a minute.
For those milky drinkers, the Dolce Gusto capsules use powdered milk. But if you are not too fussy about the milk, Piccolo is perfect.
DeLonghi ICM15210 10-Cup Filter Coffee Maker
This machine is a great bargain. At a low price tag, the DeLonghi ICM2B 10-Cup filter coffee maker has a drip-stop mechanism, a thermostatic warming plate and a pilot light. Fresh coffee made can be kept hot for a long time, and don’t forget that this machine has a 10-cup capacity which makes it a great coffee maker for those caffeine lovers.
- The thermostatic plate works really well and it keeps the coffee hot.
- The size is only a bit bigger than a standard kettle and it is easy to clean.
- The price is very good and overall this is a good value coffee maker.
- It gives a plastic smell when it is first used.
Make sure that you follow the instruction menu when setting up for the first time. You can also run it with just water to get rid of the smell. Once the plastic smell is gone, the Delonghi ICM15210 can make irresistible fresh coffee.
Francis Francis x7.1 espresso machine
Don’t let the look of this machine fool you. The Francis Francis x7.1 espresso machine has a portafilter, but instead of ground coffee, it only works with the illy iperEspresso capsules. Although the coffee range is limited, the espresso made has a rich flavour. The x7.1 is great for those who just want a quick decent espresso in the morning.
- The coffee is delivered in less than 30 seconds and the quality is excellent.
- It uses capsules so it is mess-free and easy to clean.
- The milk steam works perfectly and it makes good milk foam every time.
- The coffee range is limited to the illy capsules only.
- The capsule costs about 35p to 40p per shot which is a bit more expensive than other brands.
Nespresso Krups Pixie
This machine takes only 30 seconds to warm up and another 20 seconds to make a shot of coffee. It also has an auto power off feature which turns itself off after 9 minutes of inactivity. The Nespresso Krups Pixie is perfect for those people who are in a rush in the morning.
If you fancy frothing your own fresh milk, you can also get the Aerocinno version which allows you to make milk foam for you cappuccino.
- You can get a very quick coffee in the morning.
- Don’t need to worry about switching it off. Automatic switch off is great for those who often forget.
- Easy to use and clean
- Indicator light for low water level
- The 19-bar pressure gives a rich and creamy crema.
- Nespresso offers a wide range of coffee selection.
- Unlike the Nescafe capsules, Nespresso capsules specialise to coffee only.
- The cup holder is designed for small espresso cup so bigger cups may not fit.
Russell Hobbs 19170 Heritage Coffee Maker
This shiny Russell Hobbs coffee maker has a red metallic look and it just looks modern and stylist. It also goes well with the Russell Hobbs Heritage kettle and toaster. It comes with the drip stop function which allows you to pour coffee while the machine is still brewing. Also, the auto switch off feature helps you save electricity if you forget to turn it off.
- It has a programmable timer so that it will make you a coffee every morning before you wake up.
- Auto-shut off feature helps saving power.
- The water level indicator is badly designed and it is hard to see how much water you have put in.
Aeropress Coffee Maker
This is the most special one among all the coffee machine reviews so far. The Aerobie AeroPress is a revolutionary way to make coffee and it is not like any other coffee makers we have introduced in this guide. It is easy to use. Simply put in the ground coffee and hot water in the tube, then press down the tube, the Aeropress uses air pressure to extract the flavour from the coffee grounds and you’ll have a nice coffee in 20 seconds. But the downside is that there are no crema on the coffee.
- The quality of the coffee is surprisingly good for the price.
- Cleaning it up is easier than cleaning a cafetiere. Simply remove the coffee grounds then rinse it with water.
- The coffee is lacking crema but it still tastes great.
Bosch Tassimo Suny
What makes the Tassimo machine stand out from other coffee capsule machines is the patented T-DISC Technology. Depending on what you drink, the Suny reads the bar code on the T DISC and allows it to adjust its setting (e.g. temperature, pressure, brewing time) so that your drink can be made perfectly.
It also has a vast variety of beverage range including Costa, Cadbury, Twinnings and many more. You can now enjoy the leading brands hot drink at home.
- Large range of leading brand drinks available.
- The Suny is easy to use. With one button and it will make the drink automatically.
- You no longer have to wait for it to warm up as it uses the new flow heater system.
- Like other capsule machines, you will be limited to the Tassimo T DISC drink only.
- The capsules cost more than traditional coffee ground so the running cost needs to be taken into consideration.
DeLonghi Icona ECO310 Espresso Machine
If you have other De Longhi kitchen appliances, this will match your kitchen pretty well. It also looks good just on its own and the De’Longhi Icona ECO310 Espresso Machine has a wide variety of colour and style.
The ECO310 makes good coffee with creamy crema on top. The steam wand produces strong and steady steam for your milk foam. And the 3-button operation is easy and straight forward.
- Stylist and match the range
- Quick and effective milk frother
- Simple 3-button operation
- It may require some strength to fit the portafilter into the machine.
- It takes a while to start when you turn it on the first time in the morning. Probably not ideal if you are rushing.
DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM4200 15-Bar Bean to Cup
From grinding coffee beans, delivering coffee to your coffee mug to frothing milk, the fully automatic Magnifica ESAM4200 can do all these in just a few buttons. This is also the only one bean-to-cup machine in our 2015 coffee machine reviews guide.
The integral coffee bean grinder has 7 coarseness settings. You can chose how fine the coffee grounds are depending on how strong you want to coffee to be. It also comes with all sorts of features: auto power off, traditional milk frother, cup warmer, etc.
But the best part is that this machine produces very high quality coffee. The golden crema on top of the coffee is thick and solid and it takes a while for the sugar to sink in.
If you want fresh coffee straight from the coffee beans, this all-round machine would be perfect for you.
- You can switch between using coffee beans and ground coffee with a single button
- Come with a traditional stainless steel milk frothing arm which is a great tool for making milk foam
- There are 7 adjustable coarseness settings for grinding beans
- It makes excellent crema where sugar stays on top of the coffee
- The running cost is low and it’ll save you money in the long run
- It is noisy when the machine starts grinding beans
- It might take some time to keep clean (water tank, drip tray, brew unit, coffee bin, etc)
We hope you found the above best coffee machine reviews above useful and finally, manage to find your perfect machine. Feel free to comment on the below if you have any questions and we will try our best to answer.